My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://://www.majikwah.com and update your bookmarks.

this is what you shall do:: HST R.I.P

Monday, February 21, 2005

HST R.I.P

Hunter S. Thompson died last night. It has touched me. In his life, in his passing and in the way so many people who have been effected by his writing and his life force. Kevin kind of has the market on that wing of the HST passing. His words and subsequent comments left by readers of his blog are worth dropping by. As for me, I may have reevaluate some of the reading list I put aside for this Spring. Nabokov, Pynchon, Roth and DeLillo were on the bedside table, but they may have to make room for a revisting of Thompson. For those who haven't ventured into his works, I suggest you don't start with "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". An amazing book and a book you should read but like the good English Lit wanna be professor that I am, I would direct you to "The Great Shark Hunt" as your first toes in the water. Then move on to "Proud Highway," his first volume of collected letters. Then F&L, followed by "Fear and Loathing in America," his second volume of letters. "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail"follows that then "Better Than Sex," about the Clinton campaign. Insert "Hell's Angels" somewhere after this. At this point you have sufficient background, and hopefully appreciation, you may then dive into the remainder of his collected works, short stories and his novel. His vision and voice are truly American and he was indeed fearless in his obsession with getting down on paper the American Dream.

|