My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://://www.majikwah.com and update your bookmarks.

this is what you shall do:

Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Reading List, Pt I

The New Year is right around the corner and time to set some goals and refocus on some interests. One thing I want to do is do more reading - good, real reading, not magazines in the john, not tons of internet chatter but instead spend some time with some good books. The Top 100 English Novels of the 20th Century is a good place to start. I haven't read Ulysses - I own it and it sits nicely on a shelf. Maybe I will bend that spine. The Great Gatsby is a phenomenal book. I have read it a few times and will probably make a stab at it this year as well. Hmm, more Joyce. Ah, but then we get to Lolita. What a great book. Nabokov is a god and his wordsmithing is so precise and amusing that you can't put this book down. You find yourself savoring every single word, phrase and paragraph. It gets a revisit this year as well. Hmm, Darkness at Noon. I am not aware of this one. It goes on the list. This is a nice list. Compelling and modern. Oh look, James Dickey's Deliverance made number 42! This book consumed me one hot summer. Forget the movie and Ned Beatty and pick up this epic "Coming of Age" novel. There is something decadent and escapist about reading good books. Enveloping yourself in an author's world and letting the narrative and characters consume your dreams for a few short weeks. I can't wait to get started.

|