My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://://www.majikwah.com and update your bookmarks.

this is what you shall do:

Friday, September 12, 2003

Friday Fives

1. Is the name you have now the same name that's on your birth certificate? If not, what's changed? Yup. And nothing to add really, either. Just Roy. Not short for anything. No nicknames.

2. If you could change your name (first, middle and/or last), what would it be? I have made peace with my name. Kind of old school and usually the only Roy in the room. And a neat bit of historical-familial symmetry with it. I have my great-grandfather's middle name and my grandfather's middle name. It fits together nicely.

3. Why were you named what you were? (Is there a story behind it? Who specifically was responsible for naming you?)It started with my grandmother. And if you have spent anytime with me at all, you know that most of my stories begin with the sentence "It all started with my grandmother . . . " Mom wanted to name me Ian Allen Nall. Simple, three letters and the initials spelled the first name. And I would have had great hair and been better looking and all those dreamy things that happen to you when you have a soap opera name to carry through life. But, you see, my birth was surgical. And while mom was sleeping, my grandmother named me, vetoing any votes put forth by mom and dad. (see above )

4. Are there any names you really hate or love? What are they and why? Names are such a personal thing. But I do have a hard time with some of the biblical names. I mean, really, who would want to be named Uriah? That is a name that just doesn't roll off the tongue. Some of the ethnic names, the names from the hood probably need some work. I remember a pregnant girl who worked for me once. She was thumbing through a book of baby names wondering what to call her daughter. I suggested Propecia. And then had to spend another 20 minutes talking her out of it, since a girl really doesn't want to go through life named after a male-pattern baldness medication. And can we talk for just a second about nicknames -you don't get to give yourself your own nickname!

5. Is the analysis of your name at kabalarians.com / triggur.org / astroexpert accurate? How or how isn't it? From kabalarians.com: Your first name of Roy has given you a practical, logical, analytical approach to life and a great deal of patience. You enjoy working at anything of a mechanical or technical nature, and believe that what is worth doing is worth doing well. When you are interested in a project, you concentrate all your thoughts on it and do not appreciate being interrupted. This name creates a deliberate and methodical way of thinking and speaking; it takes you time to learn but, once you have mastered a subject, you do not forget it. You are very systematic in all you do and do not like to see things out of order; however, there is a tendency for you to be too fussy. There is a seriousness to your nature which could cause you to worry over your responsibilities, especially when confronted with change and uncertainty. This is close, although I am not that deliberate and methodical - I am more a polyphasiac in my approach to life.

|